05 February 2012

The Red Book; Deborah Copaken Kogan

The Red BookThe Red Book by Deborah Copaken Kogan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This was one of those books that I had high hopes for, but sadly, those hopes weren't met. This story of four roommates from Harvard '89 was just so cliched - I think the only "type" left out was the out-and-jock/cheerleader. There were no surprises, even at the Big Revelation moments and each storyline played out exactly as I expected. Books like The Group or movies like "The Big Chill" do this genre much better service.

Having said that, there was a part of me that wondered if someone looking at my friends from high school (where I've attended every reunion, as opposed to my college, to which I have no allegiance or affiliation) wouldn't find us equally cliched. The infamous Harvard Red Book, which was also part of the Radcliffe alumnae experience, wasn't something I saw, despite my mother being Radcliffe '59; apparently college allegiance isn't something that runs in my family.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment