14 March 2012

Narcopolis; Jeet Thayil

NarcopolisNarcopolis by Jeet Thayil
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

This wasn't so much a "read" as a "DNF" - the plot, such as it is, centers around a 1970s opium den in Bombay (at least that's where most of the 100-ish pages I got through are centered), and we start to meet Dimple, a eunuch, and Mr. Lee, the Chinese owner of the den. As one might expect from this setting, the prose is somewhat hallucinatory and the timeline non-linear.

The problem wasn't that so much as that there was no narrator or, for me, another hook to bring me into the story. I kept wondering why I should care about these people, this setting and, ultimately, I didn't. Perhaps this would have worked better for me as a novella or short story.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment