19 June 2012

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar; Kady Cross


The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

First of all, I'm not a huge fan of the whole steampunk genre.  I just don't get it. The obsession with Aether and mechanical things and dirigibles?  Does nothing for me.  However, as many of my reader-friends have informed me, I'm clearly out of my mind.  So bear that in mind when you see that this was only a 2-star book.

Second, if this book hadn't been a steampunk book, it still would have only gotten 3-3.5 stars.  Why?  Because the plot just didn't work for me.  For example, Griffin is only 18?  That either makes the others around that age, which they don't seem to be, or they're older and somehow deferring to a younger guy?   Mei's supposed devotion to Jasper?  So obvious that there was more going on there than what she was telling him.  Etc.

As heist plots go, this wasn't terribly interesting.  What Dalton wanted was always hidden, but not in a clever way.  It seemed to be that the author had to figure out a reason for him to kidnap Jasper and retrieve the machine pieces and - oh! a heist! that'll work.  The real raison d'etre for the book was the steampunk world, not the plot or the interpersonal motivations and relationships. YMMV, particularly if you're a steampunk fan.

Copy provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment