24 November 2012

Steampunk Poe; Edgar Allan Poe

Steampunk PoeSteampunk Poe by Edgar Allan Poe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Poe's works don't always do it for me - some I love, some I'm "meh" about and still others I hate so very much because I was forced to study them in detail in school. This volume includes all three, and some of the poems.

When I first saw the title, I thought someone had mashed up Poe with the steampunk genre, much as people have mashed up Austen with zombies. Very happy I was wrong, because steampunk is one of those genres that I just don't get (I do know many people love it, even to the point of dressing in steampunk fashion kind of like Ren Faire devotees). The steampunk part here is the illustrations and they definitely work! My biggest complaint was that there were too few... I kept thinking, what about a graphic novel steampunk-illustred Poe?

Copy provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment