18 November 2012

This I Believe; Jay Allison (editor)

This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and WomenThis I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women by Jay Allison
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If you listen to NPR you've probably heard at least one "This I Believe" spot - these are transcripts from new ones, some transcripts from old ones and some brand new. What people believe is a wide-ranging topic: some believe in family, some in going to funerals, some in love, some in education, etc. It's all very positive, of course, but not in that gooey way.

Are all of the pieces inspirational? No. As with any group of essays, some spoke to me more than others. Because these pieces are so short, it was easy to just skip over the ones that didn't catch my emotional attention and move on to the next. I did try to ignore who wrote the piece until after, as it does semi-color your attitude if you know who is writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment