26 December 2012

Gone Girl; Gillian Flynn

Gone GirlGone Girl by Gillian Flynn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Talk about unreliable narrators! On page 37 Nick tells us he's already lied to the police five times, leaving readers to wonder what the lies were and how many more will follow. Then we meet Amy, via her diary, and wonder if she's telling the truth. What did happen to her? Is Nick guilty or innocent? The suspense here is really skillfully built up, never quite letting the reader know what's going on by continually shifting from Nick to Amy and adding details that might contradict what we know. To be honest, I didn't like either Amy or Nick. Even Diary Amy, the one who struggles with the expectations of her psychologist-author parents and tries to be a good wife to Nick, was unappealing. Nick was either the most naive man on the planet or an incredibly unlucky one... or both. The only person I did like and root for was Detective Boney (probably not the author's intent). There were several times while I was reading that I thought I saw a flaw, a slight misstep, that could have led her to cracking the case - never happened, sadly. And all the hype about Gone Girl? Totally deserved.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always nervous about reading the very hyped novels. I've been disappointed so often. But I think I'm going to have to break down and read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh do! I'd love to hear what you think (just remember, neither main character is particularly likable, but it doesn't matter).

    ReplyDelete