29 December 2012

Long Lankin; Lindsey Barraclough

Long LankinLong Lankin by Lindsey Barraclough
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There is so much love for this book, and while I can see why, it just didn't work for me on a number of levels.

Take the pacing. S.L.O.W. Seriously. Or the fact that the action switches somewhat arbitrarily between points-of-view (Cora talks about walking up a path, Roger finishes the segment - why? who knows? it doesn't matter who tells some of the story). And then there's the fact that this isn't a new story, it's one I've read many times before. Finally, it would have been better to have had Cora (with or without Roger) reading JS's papers, rather than having three different characters spill the beans about Long Lankin and his history with the Guerdon family. My guess is the love comes from the writing and the setting. The author has done a wonderful job of making the church, Bryers Guerdon, the people there and Guerdon Hall all seem very real. Long Lankin himself is pretty scary, even if I didn't understand the whole business about the lynchgate.

2 comments:

  1. I was excited to read this but ever since I got it, it just sits on the shelf. I don't think I'll be getting to it soon; it's too long for a slow read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a little long (and slow). Pity, because with a bit if editing it could have been so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete