06 January 2013

The Gifts of the Jews; Thomas Cahill

The Gifts of the Jews: How a Tribe of Desert Nomads Changed the Way Everyone Thinks and FeelsThe Gifts of the Jews: How a Tribe of Desert Nomads Changed the Way Everyone Thinks and Feels by Thomas Cahill
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Hmmmm... my second Cahill and still not impressed. Actually, I was even less impressed with this than I was with Mysteries of the Middle Ages! Why? Because it really didn't live up to the title. There was little here that actually talks about how the Jews "changed the way everyone thinks and feels". Instead, we get chapters on the events that led Avrahm to Canaan, the tribes, the Egyptian exile, the exodus, etc.. - don't get me wrong, that's interesting but the scholarship was sometimes sloppy and exactly how does the story of David change how people thought or felt? Very unclear on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment