19 February 2013

Unlearning Liberty; Greg Lukianoff

Unlearning Liberty: Campus Censorship and the End of American DebateUnlearning Liberty: Campus Censorship and the End of American Debate by Greg Lukianoff
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Seeing Mr. Lukianoff on BookTV piqued my interest, so I ordered this book via ILL. The disappointing part is that there should be a second subtitle "... and how I (and FIRE) are fighting the good fight", because all too often he inserts himself into the narrative. It reads more as an advertisement for FIRE (and him) than is necessary.

Having said that, it is truly frightening how many of these codes and limitations are not only being promoted by colleges but are not being protested by students. When I was in college (early 80s) there were a few professors we knew brought their personal biases into class and that it was better to agree with them (or not publicly disagree with them) but that was a mere few... From what this book suggests, that ratio has flipped radically and we're now in a world where students must agree with their professor or face sanctions, and not (as was in our case) just a lower grade. The mandated sensitivity training sessions were even more disturbing. I probably would have been tossed out of my college within that first week because I would not have put up with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment