18 June 2013

Alex; Pierre Lemaitre

AlexAlex by Pierre Lemaitre
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I honestly thought I knew the big twist... guess I'm not so smart after all!

Alex is told from two points-of-view, the first from Alex, a very beautiful 30-year-old who enjoys wigs and the other from Camille Verhoeven, a 50-year-old widower who also happens to be a Police Commandant in Paris. Their paths cross when Alex, following an evening meal, decides to walk home and is kidnapped, beaten and then put into a fillette (a cage in which the prisoner can neither sit, stand or lie down) so that her kidnapper can watch her die. As it happens, M. Verhoeven's wife was kidnapped and killed shortly before giving birth, and this is his first case like this in the four years.

The problem is that nothing is quite what it seems where Alex is concerned, and the police investigation is complicated by the layers of her life. I won't go any further because it's impossible to do so without spoiling the plot. Suffice it to say that when we got to a certain point, I thought "oh, I know where this is going" but it didn't go there. I love it when that happens!!

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment