01 June 2013

The Shining Girls; Lauren Beukes

The Shining GirlsThe Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

According to Early Word, there's a question as to whether this book will be THE beach read for 2013. Now that I've read it, I can say "perhaps".

I can see the appeal: there's a serial killer (always good for summer beach reading), a victim who didn't actually die (another plus), and there's a paranormal element (here, time travel). I can also see the problem: the time travel and "shining" require that readers suspend disbelief even more than usual, as they're never quite explained.

We travel back and forth in Chicago from the Depression through early 90s (all the better to use newspapers and not use cell phones or computers), following both Harper (the killer) and Kirby (the victim). Harper somehow gets access to the House, from which he can carry out his murders; Kirby starts an internship at the Sun-Times, specifically with Dan, a former homicide reporter who covered her case but now covers sports. I'll stop her so as not to spoil how things play out. Suffice it to say, for those that like grisly Ripper-esque murders, this won't disappoint.

ARC provided by publisher.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment