12 August 2013

Foreign Gods, Inc; Okey Ndibe

Foreign Gods, Inc.Foreign Gods, Inc. by Okey Ndibe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

That phrase "if it weren't for bad luck, he'd have no luck at all" certainly applies to Ike! He comes to America, gets a good education, but can't get a job because he doesn't have a work visa - and then when he gets his green card, his accent is too thick. His marriage is a nightmare, and he's barely making ends meet driving a taxicab (of course, gambling in Atlantic City doesn't help). Then he gets a great idea: he'll go home to Nigeria, steal the statue of Ngene (his village's war god), and sell it to Foreign Gods, an art gallery in NYC. Three guesses how that goes.

Ike's life and the people in it were so clearly drawn it sometimes felt as though they were people I'd met. And even though I knew it wasn't going to go well (or as well as Ike wanted it to go), I still rooted for him and his plans, and felt bad for him as they went forward. I also really liked that the Igbo words were not always translated, context gave me their meaning which meant far fewer instances of clumsy sentences.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment