08 August 2013

The Ocean at the End of the Lane; Neil Gaiman

The Ocean at the End of the LaneThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love the way Gaiman makes an alternate world feel so real (Coraline and Neverwhere, not to mention The Graveyard Book). The way our unnamed hero remembers his childhood home was also very real: I went back to my grandfather's years after he left and, well, it wasn't quite like I remember it. In this case, however, there's something a little extra. Suddenly there are memories flooding his mind (sorry, couldn't resist that image) that don't always make sense. The magical realism at times reminded me of Abarat, albeit a very British version.

Some of what Lettie and her mother and grandmother say and do are so very different, and yet the young boy accepts them - which many young people do. The mythology and strange world visited in this novel(? novella? long short story?) are just different enough to be wholly new yet also familiar.

Eagerly awaiting his next book.... or Doctor Who episode...

No comments:

Post a Comment