11 November 2013

Africa is My Home: Monica Edinger

Africa Is My Home: A Child of the AmistadAfrica Is My Home: A Child of the Amistad by Monica Edinger
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Full disclosure: I know the author. So of course there was interest in the book, which also stemmed from the same thing that intrigued the author: there were children on Amistad? We open in Africa, in what's now Sierra Leone, with a girl who has been pawned by her father (interesting parallel to Gen. Alex Dumas' life) and then sold into slavery when the traders made a better offer to the pawn owner. Not speaking Spanish, not understanding what was going on, Magulu is transported to Cuba and then sold to another owner, but the mutiny takes her life in another direction - to New Haven, to a Supreme Court case and to a life that includes time at Oberlin and two returns to her homeland.

Because there's a real paucity of documentation for her life before Amistad and after her return to Africa it makes sense that this is not non-fiction but an attempt at a supposal about her life. The bibliography at the end is geared more towards adult researchers, which was a little disappointing - but perhaps there are no good books about this for the target readers to learn more.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, thanks for this and for coming out yesterday! I must admit that the sources at the end are more to reassure adult readers that I did the work than for the child audience. I do have more extensive bibliographies for adults and children as well as other material on my blog here: https://medinger.wordpress.com/africa-is-my-home/ That said, there isn't much for kids on the Amistad as you will see from my list or from elsewhere. I do think the sources on my blog may be helpful for the students at your school doing the Sarah Porter work.

    ReplyDelete