23 December 2013

Eleanor & Park; Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & ParkEleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I can see why this is getting so much love but... well, I just have to be slightly contrary, don't I?

Here's the thing: why was this set in 1986? Ok, I get it, Eleanor is too poor to have a phone and there's no Amber Alert and all that. But why 1986? There's nothing special about that year and it could just as easily have been set in the 1970s, or early 1990s, or even 1985. Or 1987. Was it the music and comics? I just didn't get why that year. And then there were the two voices, which seemed very similar and yet shouldn't have. It's very difficult to write in two voices, I get that, but it didn't even feel as though there was an effort made.

So that's the "bad". The good was the way in which Eleanor and Park fall in love, the tentative "are we friends? can we sit together on the bus? is this ok?" start through Park's misery when she leaves. It also felt very, very real that she cut him off after - not wanting any contact with her past, even the incredibly good parts.

Copy provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment