23 December 2013

How I Live Now; Meg Rosoff

How I Live NowHow I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I guess this trend of setting the post-war dystopia in the proximate future is the next thing? At least here we're in England most of the time, with a bucolic setting that rapidly becomes war torn. Viewers of "Downton Abbey" will remember how the house was commandeered and turned into a hospital; here it's just housing for soldiers.

What kept me reading was that this was less about the dystopia (which it really isn't, in the Oppressive Government sense) or about the reasons for the war, but the way in which the girls survive. It wasn't quite the starvation rations that Europeans had during either of the World Wars, but it definitely was similar to what the British experienced. Beyond that, however, the characters didn't really grab me nor did their plight.

Copy provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment