09 December 2013

Ostrich; Matt Greene

OstrichOstrich by Matt Greene
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I liked this, sort of. There were moments that were funny (giggle-out-loud funny) and moments that were a little poignant, but the ending just killed it for me. I read and reread the last 50-ish pages and still wasn't clear what happened or why (or how).

I've seen comparisons to Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime but I think a better comparison would be to Jack Tumor, with a healthy dose of "boy going through puberty" thrown in. There's a game of spin-the-bottle that reminded me of what the guys in Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret must have been thinking, for example, and a lot about friends and penises (and their girth) and other boy obsessions. The writing at times is raw and will probably be deemed "inappropriate" but given some of the other problems, I don't see this gathering a great following any way.

Example? Because this is from Alex's point-of-view, the parents are necessarily flat characters. That's what made the ending so confusing, as Alex disappears pretty much without authorial explanation. That confusion felt unnecessary.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment