01 December 2013

Unhinged; A.G. Howard

Unhinged (Splintered, #2)Unhinged by A.G. Howard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass, as well as Alice at 80 and other Alice-related books (like Brom). So a new series with an Alice-slant? Yes, please.

Starting with Book 2 was probably not a great strategy, but it did give me a chance to test my "does this work as a stand-alone" theory. And the answer is... not really. You do need to have read the previous book to get about 50% of the background; as it was, I pieced together the "previously" parts but may have gotten things wrong and probably didn't enjoy this as much as I might have otherwise.

As a vision of Wonderland goes, this was pretty interesting. Morpheus was a bit creepy, which was what was intended - my adult reader side was creeped out even more than I think the author intended because he, seemingly eternal, is going after a teen. And do we really need the love triangle between Jeb and Morpheus? With Mom as, well, I'm not sure how she exactly fits in except that Morpheus did want her (even creepier!).

The other reason for the loss of a star was the overwrought writing when talking about Alyssa. It was obvious she was stressed, or scared, or angry, or whatever the emotion was. Less telling and more showing would have been great, ditto fewer adjectives.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment