03 January 2014

Daughters of Jerusalem; Charlotte Mendelson

Daughters of Jerusalem. Charlotte MendelsonDaughters of Jerusalem by Charlotte Mendelson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Set in Oxford, this isn't quite an AGA-saga but it does qualify (for me) as a comfort read.

At times I wanted to shake Jean and tell her to actually pay attention to her daughter Eve; her preferred daughter, Phoebe is a complete horror but of course Jean never sees that. Then there's Jean's friend Helena, who discovers and confesses to a lesbian attraction to Jean, an attraction that Jean starts to reciprocate (but my guess is that she's responding more to the attention and affection than discovering her lesbian side). As Tolstoy says, "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." - the Lux family is unhappy in both familiar and unfamiliar ways.

The ending was disappointing for me, but I can't quite articulate why. Something about how Jean leaves, or maybe Eve and Phoebe's relationship resolves (if you can call it a resolution) just bothered me.

No comments:

Post a Comment