19 January 2014

Winger; Andrew Smith

WingerWinger by Andrew Smith
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Part of me gets why this is receiving so much love from YMA award prognosticators, but I can also see the flaws here. In part it's the addition of the drawings, which, ok, could be mine (I'm a really horrible doodler/drawer) but even with that they're too young for the rest of the book. And then there's Winger himself - or Ryan Dean, or West, or whatever. I bought that he was younger than everyone, that he was talented, etc., but the relationship he's in with Annie felt forced (unless he's really much more mature and adult looking than he tells us/he thinks he is, or she's not as mature as we're told she is).

I won't get into the Big Ending because I'm not going to spoil the read for others, but there was a part of me, a large part, that thought it unnecessary. Leave the story with his growing up over the year, and the rest out. It would have been ok. And don't get me started on O-Hall and boarding schools. I work in one and the set up just was so... wrong. Seriously wrong.

So it's a generous 3 stars. More like 2.5.

Copy provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment