18 May 2014

Someone Else's Skin; Sarah Hilary

Someone Else's SkinSomeone Else's Skin by Sarah Hilary
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Marnie Rome is yet another troubled Detective Inspector, this time because Stephen, the foster child her parents took in and then adopted after she left home, murdered her parents. She's still coming to grips with this loss and the mixed emotions of anger and guilt (technically she's Stephen's older sister). I'm never sure how I feel about this need to have deep, disturbed backgrounds to my detectives, and this one left me more up in the air than usual.

We meet Marnie at the scene of her parent's death, then flash forward a few years to a case she's work, trying to convince a young woman blinded by her brothers to testify against her oldest brother, accused of chopping off someone's hand. She and her partner walk in to the women's shelter this girl is hiding in just as another shelteree stabs her abusive husband. How did the knife get into the shelter? How did this abused wife garner enough gumption to stab him? And why did she leave the hospital AMA?

It's all very well plotted and yet there were few surprises. I like being surprised, even if it's not by the solution to the mystery. I'll have to see how this series progresses.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment