07 June 2014

Last Night at the Blue Angel; Rebecca Rotert

Last Night at the Blue Angel: A NovelLast Night at the Blue Angel by Rebecca Rotert
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The 60s in Chicago, the jazz scene, sexual ambiguity, "found" family, race relations: all of this is part of Sophia's life. Her mother, Naomi Hill, came from somewhere and has created a career singing jazz standards at the Blue Angel; along with this she's also built a family who take care of Sophia, her somewhat precocious daughter. Both Naomi and Sophia are very tolerant of other people's differences, the reasons for which are explained in flashbacks to Naomi's life "before".

This was nearly perfect, but the ending made me a little irritated. It's not just that I hoped for something different, but that I wanted a little more ambiguity with the ending. Sophia's lack of anger at her mother also bothered me some, hence the four not five stars.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment