06 August 2014

Amity, Micol Ostow

AmityAmity by Micol Ostow
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember the book/movie about the Amityville Horror (really: it's a true story ) but I liked this take on the theme. No, there was nothing "new" in terms of what happens, right down to the blood/sludge coming out of the tap or the "window eyes", but that doesn't matter. The sense of menace and horror is less than the earlier book but then, this is YA not adult. My only quibble is that if this is set in Massachusetts, there's no "downstate" (mentioned several times as the origin of Connor's family). But beyond that, it's all good.

I can imagine pairing the two and getting teens to talk about the differences, and what they prefer (or dislike) about each.


ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment