07 August 2014

brown girl dreaming; Jacqueline Woodson

brown girl dreamingbrown girl dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's always difficult to take issue with a memoir, because this is the author's version of their life, giving them the ability to delete, gloss over or highlight events and feelings. It's also difficult for me to read novels in verse, which this is. Hence the three-stars: a format in which I'm not completely comfortable and a memoir about an author whose works I know but whose life story is unfamiliar. What was left out? What would an objective person say?

Still, for those without my verse issues, this is an interesting way to approach Ms. Woodson's life. There are some events and themes that appear to have informed her work, which will definitely appeal to her fans.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment