10 August 2014

Gretel and the Dark; Eliza Granville

Gretel and the DarkGretel and the Dark by Eliza Granville
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Such a difficult book to read, given the three (or four, depending on how you count) narratives. And just as difficult to review because of the Big Twist towards the end.

So here's what I'll say: Krysta (the most recent of the three women we meet) uses fairy tales, like "The Pied Piper" and "Hansel & Gretel" to help both her and Daniel survive. How much of her life story is real and how much is also fairy tale is questionable. Because her story (or stories, since we also get flashbacks to her life with Greet) is intertwined with the story of Lilie and Gretel, often with no differentiation between the them, it can take a little to catch when we are in time.

The one real quibble I had that I can talk about is the splicing of Freud's work with Dora onto Breuer's work bothered me. If only that had been switched to some other type of mania.

Why only three stars? Because - and I've gotten in trouble with this before - it covers the Holocaust. This is really well done, and the story lines are interesting, but the Holocaust just makes me say "enough". There are more atrocities out there to be covered.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment