02 August 2014

The Marco Effect; Jussi Adler-Olsen

The Marco Effect (Department Q, #5)The Marco Effect by Jussi Adler-Olsen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The second of the Department Q books I've read, and still a little unsure of my thoughts. As far as the mystery part goes, it's minor - these are more books about the people, less about whodunnit (or what or why). Like Lackberg's books, there's a seemingly unrelated couple of events that all tie in together, and the only mystery is who's behind the murders (pretty clearly telegraphed, with a minor twist that ultimately doesn't really surprise). So what we're left with is, how do you feel about the people in Department Q.

And that's where I get stuck. At times I do like them, especially Assad (so much more to him than meets the eye). Rose I'm wavering on, but I think the author's in the same place. It's Morck that bothers me - I just can't decide if he's supposed to be too like Rebus (a throwback to old police methods) or if he's just too old to do the job well, or something. Whatever it is, it's difficult to read about his exploits with ease. I guess it'll take another look at the series to tell for sure.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment