14 September 2014

The Search for WondLa; Tony DiTerlizzi

The Search for WondLa (WondLa, #1)The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Reading this I started to remember a short story I read years ago, something about a strange city with weird buildings and an elevator and it all turned out to be New York... and Planet of the Apes... and C.S. Lewis' thoughts on science-fiction (not to mention his Perelandra and Out of the Silent Planet).

The world DiTerlizzi imagines here is fresh and unusual, and even the story, while being familiar, has elements that will surprise readers. Even the reveal of what WondLa is was surprising (I had guessed another interpretation, one that probably isn't far off... but the real thing could have been guessed if I'd paid a little more attention... perhaps).

So why only three stars? Possibly because I read The Glass Sentence recently? Or that this is clearly part of a series, when making it a stand-alone within a series would be so much more unusual? Or that some bits dragged, with set pieces that could have been tighter?

Copy provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment