14 September 2014

The Year of Reading Dangerously; Andy Miller

The Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books (and Two Not-So-Great Ones) Saved My LifeThe Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books (and Two Not-So-Great Ones) Saved My Life by Andy Miller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Often when I read an eARC I think, "That was interesting... next!" but in this case I'm eager to actually see the finished copy (and purchase one for myself). It's not just that the author promises us snippets of e-mails and texts, etc., as part of the work, but the subject matter is so fascinating.

Like Manguel in A History of Reading, Miller highlights the fact that reading is such a personal matter, that one interpretation or reading of a book can change upon rereading, and that the books that influence us at one time may not later (or vice-versa). And lets not get into the whole prescriptive list idea! "Necessary reading" according to one person may not be necessary to another.

The tone here is engaging and while I've never actually lied about having read a book, there are many on the list that I have not, in fact, read and am now tempted to read. There's one that I resent having read (and am not tempted to reread). But that's sort of the point, isn't it?

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment