06 October 2014

All the Bright Places; Jennifer Niven

All the Bright PlacesAll the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I wasn't sure if this was trying to cash in on If I Stay and The Fault In Our Stars popularity, or if this was trying to be venture out on its own; it doesn't matter too much, but the similarities are a little striking. I'd throw in Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock as well.

What sets this apart is the ending, which was a little surprising for me. Violet was less surprising, but Finch was: it was clear to me that there was/is something wrong, but there was never any diagnosis or confirmation. I liked that, and the ambiguity it allowed in "knowing" who Finch is and why he does what he does. I also enjoyed the realness of the emotions Violet and Finch experience.

So why three stars? See paragraph one. And perhaps that's my problem, that I've read the other books and didn't find terribly much new here. Teen readers probably won't care.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment