24 January 2015

I Was Here; Gayle Forman

I Was HereI Was Here by Gayle Forman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So very close to perfect for me! First, the great. Cody's voice, Scottie (all of him, what little we see), and the question of the culpability of All_BS in Meg's death. I've even mentioned that aspect to the ethics teacher at school. The idea that Cody cannot understand, or accept, Meg's suicide is powerful and completely reasonable for someone of her age and experience, as is the guilt she feels about not having been as close with Meg as she used to be when they were in school together. The problem for me was twofold: Cody's seeming passive acceptance of her life was a problem, and the way in which she went about her investigation just felt slightly contrived. Still, I know that this will be a Great Next Read for Forman's many fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment