21 March 2015

Uprooted; Naomi Novik

UprootedUprooted by Naomi Novik
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

So conflicted about this book. On the one hand, the heroine is resourceful, strong, etc.. On the other... This really reminded me of one of the old Harlequin romances I read when I was in high school (I think they've changed the formula since then), with the plucky female being put under the care/supervision of the remote, disdainful plantation owner/banker/guardian, trying to prove she's not a ditz/worthy of his notice and then, after some incident that proves it, sexytimes. Except he can't admit it, or she's too young for him, so the frustration continues until the end when he realizes he needs her. I'm not saying that's a plotline-by-plotline spoiler, but there are serious similarities between those books and this. Differences? The man is never a wizard. The girl isn't a wizard, either. Magic isn't an issue. Nor is the fate of kingdoms.

Maybe I'm going to be the only reader who was disturbed by the relationship between Agnieszka and Dragon. The thing is, with a better relationship, for me this would have been a much stronger book and one I could recommend with ease.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment