04 April 2015

Between You & Me; Mary Norris

Between You & Me: Confessions of a Comma QueenBetween You & Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen by Mary Norris
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Having heard the author speak about her book, I was excited to read about life as a copy editor and page editor at The New Yorker - and, ok, I'm one of those grammar geeks so it wasn't just about where she worked but how she worked. Lucky for me, therefor, there's more about the latter than the former, but others looking for more of an inside scoop will be disappointed. This is more Eats, Shoots and Leaves than "Behind the Scenes at A Really Famous Magazine". Oh, I did want that, too but... There are some anecdotes, and the discussion about how decisions (copy editing, fact checking) get made is interesting. Ditto what the magazine thinks about profanity, the Oxford comma and other nitpicky things.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment