27 April 2015

Our Souls at Night; Kent Haruf

Our Souls at Night: A novelOur Souls at Night by Kent Haruf
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've loved Haruf's work since Plainsong, so perhaps I'm pre-biased in favor. Recently I've read similarly quiet books but for some reason, Haruf is the master of this form of writing.

The idea of two elderly people, each alone and each vaguely aware of the other due to living near by, getting together at night simply to lie in bed and talk? How appealing. How human. That this casual relationship develops into friendship and caring for each other is equally human and realistic. It was also so true-to-life that others do not see things that way (particularly Addie's son). At times I found myself trying to read slower so as not to run out of book. But, as with all Haruf's works, this has no padding, so that end eventually came.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment