27 April 2015

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up; Marie Kondo

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and OrganizingThe Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There is such love for this book, and while part of me sees that, part of me is a little annoyed with the KonMar Method. The idea that everything in our homes should give us joy makes sense - sometimes it's a little impractical, but it's definitely sensible. And the way in which she suggests that we clean out and then tidy our possessions also makes sense. But the touching of everything? Perhaps not. And thanking things for supporting us, doing a good job, whatever at the end of each day? Again, perhaps not. That touchy-feely part just doesn't sit well with me (YMMV, obviously). I'm taking most of this as "suggestions" not "prescriptions" (right now, I can't put clothing in drawers because I simply don't have room for a dresser but when I can use the one I have in storage, I will use her method for storing many items; I read more than most and get many books at one of two conferences, so only having a few "to be read" is simply not practical). To be honest, that's my biggest quibble over all, the dogmatism she has about This Is The Only Way And It Will Always Work In Every Situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment