16 May 2015

Hausfrau; Jill Alexander Essbaum

HausfrauHausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Having lived in Switzerland and visited a couple of times (ok, I was a kid then, but still...) a book set in Zurich sounded interesting. And parts definitely were: the Migros language school reminded me of the one my mother took French at (we lived in Geneva, hence the French) and the grocery store we shopped at, the discussion of how Schweizerdeutsch differs from German, etc.. But the plot? Not really. Anna's life is clearly filled with depression, but neither she nor her family seem to realize this or care. Casual sex, nearly sleepwalking through her days and showing no interest in virtually anything other than her children? Clearly depressed. And that's not enough to keep me reading. DNF.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment