12 May 2015

Visiting Hours; Amy E. Butcher

Visiting Hours: A Memoir of Friendship and MurderVisiting Hours: A Memoir of Friendship and Murder by Amy E. Butcher
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

There was so much promise here, so much more along the My Friend Dammer continuum than actually appeared. Amy's friend Kevin commits a horrific murder, apparently having suffered a psychotic break. Okay. Amy, being a good friend, doesn't want to lose touch with him, despite being traumatized by this (who wouldn't be, given that the murder came mere hours after Kevin dropped Amy off at her house). Also okay. But instead of exploring some of that more, or talking with others who might have been equally friendly and also affected, at times this meanders into the me-me-me and that's when it lost me. This is less a "memoir of friendship and murder" than someone working out their trauma and issues in a public forum.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment