13 June 2015

Another Day; David Levithan

Another Day (Every Day, #2)Another Day by David Levithan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I wasn't alone: Every Day was a great stand alone book. So I started to read Another Day with some trepidation. As the blurb says, this is Levithan's Roshomon book, the story of A and Rhiannon from Rhiannon's point-of-view (it's doubtful, but maybe Justin's story is next? That would be interesting). Now, I'm a fan of the alternative version, so yay!

For obvious reasons, this hews closely to the story already established. We do learn more about why Rhiannon stays with Justin, what it's like from her side to be in love(?) with an entity that isn't constrained by one body (or ethnicity) and what their life together might be like. There were things that I had problems with, like her initial concern over A being the devil (not a spoiler if you read the first book!) and then almost completely ignoring it - wouldn't she have checked up on this more? worried a little more about whether "they" were catching up with A and whatever A is? I think so.

As the letter in my ARC stated, this can easily be read by those who don't necessarily remember the first book, those who never read it and those who read it just a few moments earlier. It might be interesting to read it in reverse, too.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment