18 June 2015

These Shallow Graves; Jennifer Donnelly

These Shallow GravesThese Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This will probably be a great success when it's published because the plot moves along so quickly and Josephine is so well drawn that the fact this is a mystery may elude readers (for some reason, mysteries aren't appealing to younger readers). Josephine's idol, if one can use that word, is Nellie Bly, the journalist, and her determination to investigate the death of her father and its suspicious nature mean that she's going to go against her breeding and type to do just that. I'm rounding up from a three because of that. There was a bit too much, however, of her fighting against expectations (could the use of a corset be any more apt?!) and too little of what those expectations were. My other quibble was that this all starts at her all-girl's boarding school in Farmington (gee, wonder what that's based on!) and yet after one chapter, there's virtually no mention of her education or going back.

ARC provided by publisher.

1 comment:

  1. I' love Jennifer Donnelly's writing. I'm sure this one will end up on my to-read list, but I have other books of hers on my shelf that I have to get to first.

    ReplyDelete