06 June 2015

Watching the Dark; Peter Robinson

Watching the Dark (Inspector Banks, #20)Watching the Dark by Peter Robinson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Maybe it was the fact that my first exposure to DCI Banks was via the tv show? Or maybe the mystery part was subsumed into a travelogue about Tallinn? Whichever, or for whatever other reason, my first print DCI Banks mystery was sort of a "meh". There were some writing quirks that bothered me, the types of things that are usually relied on by authors from a different place (all the named shops, the too-clear setting so as to prove that the author really has local cred, while really local authors take much of it for granted; the exception being them eating at "Pret", rather than saying "Pret-a-Manger, the upscale prepared sandwich chain") and authors early in a series, when they heavily point back to previous episodes to drum up back catalog business. This doesn't mean it will be my last in this series, just not the first series I'll run to when I need a mystery read.

No comments:

Post a Comment