01 July 2015

Goodbye Stranger; Rebecca Stead

Goodbye StrangerGoodbye Stranger by Rebecca Stead
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Stead uses this book to tackle big issues, like feminism and body issues and first love(? maybe - they're just friends) as well as friendships and how they grow and change. That's the good part. Even better, she's a great writer who can tackle those things well. The relationships between Bridge, Tab and Em are not perfect but they are real; Bridge's relationship with her brother is equally well-drawn. Em's friendship with Joanna and her crush/cell relationship with Patrick? I've seen similar dilemmas in my schools.

The only problem I had was the addition of the mystery person playing hookey: someone clearly involved, somehow, with our three BFFs but with a different set of problems. Since this insertion ultimately has nothing to do with the main plot, it was a distraction and, well... But maybe I'm the only one that will feel that way? I can see committees loving this and rightly so.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment