17 July 2015

Most Dangerous; Steve Sheinkin

Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History of the Vietnam WarMost Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History of the Vietnam War by Steve Sheinkin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was a little young to read the Pentagon Papers article, but I do remember how my parents reacted (I should add the caveat that it's entirely possible that my smalltown newspaper barely covered them!). We were much more interested in Watergate and the investigation, and somewhere in my mind I knew about the Papers and knew there was some connection but it wasn't until later, as an adult, that it all became clear. Today's students frequently don't get to study in depth what for me isn't history but merely my past, and this book will go a long way to bringing this incident into focus. The details of what Ellsberg did and how, along with the background of the war and its buildup, are clearly laid out - easily accessible by teens, written in Sheinkin's usual conversational style (unlike, say, history textbooks). The ending, when he brings in the recent revelations by Edward Snowdon, can help spark the greater question/debate about treason, whistleblowing and informing the public.

Even better, the trim size and endnotes are great for both library shelves and research!

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment