24 August 2015

Trouble on the Thames; Victor Bridges

Trouble on the ThamesTrouble on the Thames by Victor Bridges
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is part of a series of reprinted/republished older mysteries or spy stories, hoping to bring them to a new, modern audience. I don't know if any editing was done, but because the last time I read an Ellery Queen mystery I found that the phrasing was... quaint and very outdated (in other words, things we no longer say but were commonly said back then), so I wondered. There wasn't anything here that surprised me in terms of language, and in terms of the plot, again, no surprises. We're in the run-up to World War II, the Nazis are trying to infiltrate England and steal military secrets and there's romance in the air. All good, if a tad quaint by John le Carre standards.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment