08 September 2015

The Borden Murders; Sarah Miller

The Borden Murders: Lizzie Borden and the Trial of the CenturyThe Borden Murders: Lizzie Borden and the Trial of the Century by Sarah Miller
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This isn't the first exploration of the Borden story I've read (the most interesting was by an FBI profiler, The Cases That Haunt Us) but it is the best YA version... thus far. My quibbles come when I put on my ENFYA hat, and even then I have to wonder if they'll be corrected when the final version is published. Quibbles like: the odd placement of the pullout information; the photos being clumped into two sections, rather than spread throughout; the resolution on the blueprints for the house is poor and a better drawing would have been very helpful; and did the author actually get to see the house as it is now? And then there was the weird phrasing about how the myth or question has spanned three centuries. Technically, yes - this all happened in the late 1800s and we're now in the 2000s. But, well, it's been slightly over a century since the murders and that phrase implies it happened nearly 300 years ago.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment