04 September 2015

The Nature of the Beast; Louise Penny

The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #11)The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

At the end of The Long Way Home I wondered what would happen, and by the end of this one, I suspect I know: Gamache has options. And he's not sure retirement's quite the thing for him or Reine-Marie.

There's real-life history here, Project Babylon, something with geopolitical implications, and yet, somehow, this tiny village gets involved. There's also a brilliant play written by a sociopath that is supposed to be produced by the nearby amateur group. Are the two connected? And how many times will we go to the B&B, or hear Ruth and Jean-Guy insult each other? Which of our friends in the Sûreté will make an appearance? There's something comforting about the latter questions, and a little disconcerting about the first one. Because yes, in fact, they are related.

By the end, I have to say that I was feeling some sympathy for Ruth(!) and don't know quite what to do with that feeling. As for the continued intrusion of the outside world into Three Pines, again I don't quite know what to do with that. Unlike, say, Cabot Cover, there's no real reason for so many people to show up - although with each book I'm reminded that this village is a little larger than I remember it being.

Because I don't want to include spoilers, I'll just end with the "hee" moment for me: the people in charge of Project Bablyon (in this book, at least) were Dr. Bull and Dr. Couture. You guess which was the salesperson and which did the designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment