31 January 2016

The Memory of Light; Francisco X. Stork

The Memory of LightThe Memory of Light by Francisco X. Stork
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I loved Vicky's voice: her pain and depression were clear to readers. Her father's inability to connect with her and see her for who she is, not who he wants her to be, is also clear and the reasons become painfully clear later. But the time spent in Lakeview just rang so false that it negated much of the book for me. Any doctor that played that fast and loose with my privacy? Or who seems to have disregard for real processes regarding teens in a mental ward? No hospital would allow that because of possible lawsuits, let alone her malpractice insurance rates would be astronomical. The author's note, where he talks about writing this to help teens who may also be considering suicide shows good intentions but the execution really worries me.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment