14 January 2017

Life in a Fishbowl; Len Vlahos

Life in a FishbowlLife in a Fishbowl by Len Vlahos
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved Jack Tumor and The Truman Showand I've enjoyed Vlahos' writing style, so the three combined? Ok, I'll bite.

What made this a four was that this is appallingly all-too-plausible. Not the auctioning off of the life (although apparently Craigslist and eBay are constantly pulling similar things off their listings), but the way in which the reality tv program twists and distorts "cast" actions to goose ratings. So that particular hell was incredibly well described. That Jared made the decision without consulting his family and was allowed to sign all those contracts without them (or their signatures) didn't feel quite as real, but what do I know? My closest call with reality tv was being told that if I attended a HS graduation part for two students I tacitly gave permission to be filmed and shown on tv (note: I did not attend!). It's Jackie's response to all this, and her relationships with her parents, sister and online friend that really made the book.

Dropping it from a 5 to a 4, however, was some of the subplot (crazy billionaire guy really lost me). But the tumor? Loved the depiction.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment